SOCIAL MEDIA

Showing Up + Doing What You Are Made to Do

3.10.2009

I watched this clip the other day for the film Who Does She Think She Is? I am hopeful that this is something that I will get to see.


Yesterday while listening to Wisconsin Public Radio I heard a really good program with the guest, Stephen Hinshaw, the author of the book, The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls From Today's Pressure's. Really interesting (if you like you can listen to the audio of it here in the WPR Archives). They talked about how today's young girls are being told that they need to excel in all areas of life (athletics, academics, to be nurturing yet independant, beautiful, etc.) and how it is causing risks to their sense of self and well being. Some of the studies that they shared throughout the program were really interesting and alarming as some of these tendancies for social pressure and consequences thereof are starting as early as the third grade. I will be requesting this book from the library for sure.

Another video clip that I recently happened upon is one of the TED Talks episodes featuring the author of Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia, Elizabeth Gilbert. Lots about trust and just showing up for what it is that you have to do.


I think that creative people sometimes have this sense of guilt...as though their "work" isn't or shouldn't be "work" at all. The sense that is gained from the actual act of the creativity is so amazingly powerful and the sense of satisfaction can be so great at times that it's almost embarrassing to share it with someone that doesn't perhaps "get it." I think that's why it's possible to be walking next to someone for month's upon month's of time all the while not knowing that they spend their evenings sewing in their basement or throwing pots on their potter's wheel in the early morning hours. It's funny how you sometimes feel like this act of being creative is something that you should keep a secret. Perhaps this reason is that it's something so personal, an extension almost of who it is that you truly are. And then once you put yourself out there and expose who it is that you are, how much fear there can be...or fear that people can expect of you (you'll get this if you watch the above video).

Perhaps enough rambling about my thoughts today! Pictured below are some of the necklaces that I made over the weekend for my mother-in-law. I made a total of six, but just took photos of these four. The acrylic pendants are from D.Reeves Design House. I stamped the images on them using Staz-On ink.

Pendants

Anonymous said...

Those necklaces are gorgeous! And, I totally know what you mean about creative talents not being valued (or at least feeling like they aren't).

Stacy Milford said...

Jen! OMG! Those necklaces are sooo great! I love them! Are you selling them?

Unknown said...

Ok so I watched the clip for the film and now I am bawling!! SOOOOO TRUE!!! Oh my so true!
Also reading what you wrote I think that sometimes we don't want people to know we 'create' because we think they just won't get it because most of the time people don't. I think, too, that it can also be because we don't think what we do is anything in comparision to that of others, that our work isn't good enough to be art. When in fact any creation, big or small, is art.
Love the necklaces, they are gorgeous!
Ok I have to go blow my nose because that film clip has got to me in ways that have shocked me.
Thanks for sharing Jen

audrey neal said...

gorgeous necklaces -- and thanks for the link. I def need to check that book out. My oldest is 12, and those are things I am worrying about now...

Shere said...

Wow, eye opening. I had to struggle to think of 2 female artist! And I love art. TFS the clip and the necklaces are gorgeous.

Mary said...

oh dear, yes how true. it has touched a nerve. those necklaces are pretty. I love nature. thanks for sharing