SOCIAL MEDIA

Her First Broken Heart

1.28.2010
Yesterday was a day like any other until I went to pick Zoey up from school. Parents who come to pick up their children usually wait in the cafeteria and the teacher will bring the students through by class and those with parents there will be dropped off with the parent and then those students that ride the bus are then taken around to the back of the school where bus pick-up is. Yesterday Zoey was noticeably glum when walking towards me and while her classmates were following their teacher to the bus pick-up area Zoey's best little buddy from her class looked at me urgently and said that she might be moving away...her eyes were so pleading it was as if she was wanting me to do something and to do something now. My heart just fell and I turned to Zoey who simply burst into full out sobs. It was the most helpless that I've felt I think since becoming a mama. We went out to the car and she was still sobbing, she cried all the way home and once home we sat on the floor and hugged, she still in her snow pants and coat, hat and mittens. This little friend has been such a special gift. I remember being so nervous about Zoey starting Kindergarten because she knew none of the girls that were going to be in her class at this new school and on that very first day this little girl with snow white skin and hair to match just stepped in to being that little special person that would be Zoey's little anchor. She and Zoey are the only two girls in her class that believe in fairies, they are perfectly fine with walking around the playground singing songs for an entire recess, they have a little game where they each guess what the other is going to be wearing when they arrive to school each day (they guess before taking off coats and snow pants), they have special little patterns of eating hot and cold lunch and follow it to a 'T' (this has threatened to drive me insane at times!) ...this is the first friend that Zoey has said sorry to without having a grown up suggesting that that happen. I hope that it turns out that this little girl doesn't move away, or that the move is just to another area school at least so that Zoey can still perhaps get to see her around once in awhile and have play dates with her. If she does in fact move I promised Zoey that we would get some special note cards and envelopes with postage stamps to give as a gift to her friend so that they could write to one another.

I know that there are many more things that are plenty worse off that we could be dealing with but this was just one of those little unexpected heartaches that we'll just have to get through. The first of many I am sure. It still doesn't make it easy.
Patty S said...

poor zoey.
i hope it all works out.
and yes, being a mamma is the hardest job on earth. hugs for you, jen, from one mamma to another.
xo, patty :-)

Micaela said...

How sweet of you to think of notes and stamps (if she does move) and how wonderful to be there to help Zoey right away.

Terri Davenport said...

I'm so sorry. I hope it all works out and her friend either doesn't move or stays nearby.

Jane said...

Awww my heart breaks for her!! Two of my best friends moved away when I was a child. One I lost touch with. The other was the boy next door - we wrote to each other for years - and now I'm married to him :)

Sending virtual hugs from way up in Canada!
x

ellen s. said...

aw. that is said. i still think about a friend that moved away and have tried to google her but no luck. i think is special she found someone to connect with and it made me smile when you talked about the fairies, so cute

Sarah said...

I'm so sad for Zoey! I hope that the little girl doesn't move or doesn't move far. I will be praying that Zoey meets another sweet girl to pal around with. Kindred spirits are hard to find!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh my heart aches for Zoey :( I hope that her special friend does not move but if she does I'm glad to see that you have prepared Ms. Zoey that she can still be in touch with her via mail. Koodles to you also Jen for being such a wonderful Mom ♥♥♥. I hope that in the end it all works out!!!!!!

Cristy

Vicky said...

Poor Zoey, I feel so sad for her and my heart just breaks for you because I know how painful it is being a Mom. So glad you have each other and we all can see how much fun you both have together :)

Sarah Lou said...

Oh that is just a heartbreaking story. A beautiful idea for teh letter swapping

Patty said...

Poor Zoey! It's so hard to have your best friend move away!